AU Indirect Tax Contracts Senior Analyst Job Description
The Amazon Tax Department’s Commercial Transactions Team analyzes the cost and risk associated with the execution and performance of all of Amazon’s commercial transactions worldwide. The team reviews and approves contracts and leases and provides written guidance with respect to high-volume/low-risk commercial transactions, leveraging technical solutions to scale the ever-increasing and diversifying demands of Amazon’s global business model. The Tax Commercial Transactions team provides a bridge between its colleagues in Tax who are business-facing, non-attorney tax professionals within different business teams, and attorneys in Amazon Legal who negotiate contracts and leases with counterparties, large and small, all over the world.
This role is perfect for anyone who thrives in a fast-paced, constantly evolving work environment. This position offers an excellent entry- to intermediate-level opportunity to join one of the largest, most sophisticated, most challenging and best corporate tax departments in the world.
- Law degree from an accredited institution in India and/or Australia
- 7+ years of experience with a focus on transactional work in Australia and the Australian indirect tax consequences thereof
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills with a demonstrated ability to convey sensitive information to many different, non-tax, business teams
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks in a deadline-driven, dynamic environment
- Results-oriented attitude
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and Sharepoint 2013
- Strong customer focus
- Strong team player with ability to be a self-starter
- Certified accountant in Australia
- Masters in Taxation, with an emphasis in international tax, from an accredited Australian university
- LL.M. in Taxation from an accredited U.S. law school
- Experience working in a multinational corporate tax department or multinational law firm, especially experience involving review of contracts and/or commercial leases
- Working knowledge of international tax treaties
Responsibilities of the role
This role will primarily entail Amazon contracts involving Australia and the “administration” of such contracts. “Administration” means to:
1. Communicate with and collect additional documents and information from contract submitters;
2. Prepare contract summaries identifying all material provisions;
3. Make recommendations regarding Australia indirect tax issues;
4. Ensure that Amazon internal approvers for all affected functional areas provide tax comments within the promised service-level agreement; and
5. Communicate Tax’s required modifications or conditions.
The role could also possibly expand into being a support to Australia tax planners by taking over responsibility to review and approve contracts from them. An ability to read/review complex agreements, identify and mitigate tax issues, and clearly communicate information to planners and outside stakeholders are integral to this position.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer.