Are you a hands-on leader that can make a huge impact on a dynamic, fast moving business? Are you equally comfortable digging in to business requirements as drilling into architecture and design with development teams? Amazon fulfillment Technology organization is looking for a Sr. Manager to lead multiple software development teams in the Pick Planning space.
Amazon Fulfillment Technologies (AFT) builds and operates software, hardware, and processes that run the global network of fulfillment centers(FCs) that move many millions of units of inventory, employ tens of thousands of people, and ensure that customers get what they want when we promised we would get it to them. We do this by building automated solutions to handle things that technology does well, while relying on people to handle things that humans do well.
Picking is the process that starts the fulfillment of an order in the FC. In manual FCs, it involves sending people to pick stuff that has been stowed in seemingly arbitrary shelves/bins, and then use a combination of software, hardware & processes to sort, pack and ship the item out to the customer. In FCs that deploy Amazon Robotics, this involves directing a Kiva robot to bring the item to an individual in the most optimal way possible. Picking is critical to shipping any order to our customer. At the same time, it’s a space that involves huge optimization problems, and possibility for a lot of automation using robotics solutions.
While Amazon is expanding the number of fulfillment centers, small & big, the team needs to model the variations in the different types of fulfillment centers in its software, and minimize the cost of fulfilling an order, while meeting the promise we made to the customer.
This space is challenging both architecturally and algorithmically. 100s of millions of customers place thousands of orders on Amazon every year, and a large percentage of orders have more than one item on it. These billions of transactions are processed via our systems, spending 100s of millions of dollars on labor. There is huge potential for optimizing how we group orders, how we model downstream capacity and constraints and maximize their utilization.
As Amazon introduces different kinds of automation in the fulfillment processes, the platform needs to be flexible to offer a plug & Play architecture allowing optimal use of the automation equipment.
- Manage a high performing team
- Manage overall software development life-cycle
- Create, prioritize, communicate, manage, and execute roadmaps, project plans, and commitments
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
- Work closely with Sr. engineers and Team Leaders to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Foster culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
- Hire, coach, and mentor individuals; build a strong cross-functional organization
- Interface with a diverse customer base to understand requirements, priorities, and processes
- Propose and implement new projects or recommend system improvements.
- Own all operational metrics and support
- Have the obsession to drive a better customer experience through everything that we do here at Amazon
- Bring innovative ideas to the table every day, in order to find better ways of accomplishing our customer objectives
- Set clear, measurable quality goals for an organization in a data-driven way
Personal traits not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
- Exhibits excellent judgment, are right a lot
- Hire and develop the best people
- Able to dive deep and never out of touch with the details of the business
- Strong results orientated approach.
- Thinks big and have a bias for Action
- Deal well with ambiguity