SDE3 – Job description
The Software Development Engineer (SDE) experience is a unique one at Amazon. As a Senior Software Development Engineer in the Kindle Periodicals & Newsstand team you will engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary staff to conceive, design and bring to market innovative consumer products. You will work closely with an internal inter-disciplinary team, and outside partners to drive key aspects of product definition, execution and test. You must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed within an open collaborative peer environment
There are a number of engineering teams based out of Amazon's Chennai engineering center engaged in solving hard problems in increasing selection, providing convenience and lowering costs for Kindle’s customers. Given Amazon’s scale of operations, many of these problems are a first of their kind and need innovative, out of the box thinking. Engineers working on them often have to dig through their basics on core computer science fundamentals like algorithms and data structures to come up with simple yet elegant solutions.
A Senior Software Development Engineer in the Kindle Periodicals & Newsstand team will design software that defines the future of reading. You will work with new technologies that are vital to new product development, and your job will be to ready such technologies for product inclusion, as well as to propose and help implement totally new concept products. You will be responsible for software design and architecture – world class skills in software is required, logical thinking, developing fast & impactful solutions are must have skills. You will be required to deliver architectural documents, design specs, software source code, build scripts, and perform tasks including debug, bring-up, prototype and production software development. You will also be involved in the pursuit of innovative future concepts.
- SDE will Envision, Architect, Design systems that customers will use every day of their life!
- SDE will enable the team build a robust platform, anticipate future changes, design build flexible solutions that can grow and improve with customer and business demand.
- SDE will also work with engineers in the team and direct them on technology architecture and implementations.
- SDE will be involved in Strategic conversations and will drive the technology element of the organization roadmap.
This is a great opportunity if you have passion for reading and if you want to revolutionize the way people read Magazines, Newspapers and BLOGs Basic qualification:
Candidates applying should have:
- Excellent programming skills in either C, C++ or Java
- Design and build extremely reliable, scalable and high performing enterprise systems in about one-third the time that most competent people think possible.
- Possess an extremely sound understanding of areas in Computer Science such as Algorithms, Object Oriented Design, Distributed Systems, Transaction Processing, Search and Information Retrieval and Operating Systems.
- Bring 3-8 years of software engineering and product delivery experience, with strong background in algorithms and high performance distributed systems.
Equally important to these specific skills are a candidate's ability to:
- Quickly adapt to new development environments and changing business requirements
- Learn new systems
- Create reliable/maintainable code, and find creative and scalable solutions to difficult problems
- The ability to communicate clearly and concisely both written and orally is a key competency as is demonstrable skill as a self-starter